Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New Zealand Maori

Thank you to everyone who has read my blog and has written comments.
The photo in my last blog was taken in the North Island. I was born in the North Island and went to school there too. My family still lives there but I moved to the South Island to go to university and stayed there teaching until I came to Hong Kong.

In this blog, I thought I would tell you something about the native people of New Zealand, the Maori. Maori have been living in New Zealand for about 1000 years and sailed to New Zealand from the Pacific Islands. Europeans have only been living in New Zealand for less than 200 years.

Maori were once fierce warriors and often had wars with other tribes of Maori many years ago.
Although, this does not happen any more (New Zealand is quite a peaceful place), some of the Maori songs and war chants are still known by people today. The most famous is the 'Haka', which was a war dance and chant that was done by warriors before fighting. Now, though it is performed by New Zealand's famous rugby sports team, 'The All Blacks'. Most people from New Zealand know the words and actions to the 'Haka'. You can view the 'Haka' on You Tube by copying and pasting this link: http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=-_CaSu-fnGg&feature=related

Students at school learn to write and speak some Maori language, and there are many places in New Zealand with Maori names. Although, I forgotten many words since I have been in Hong Kong!

I hope you enjoy the video and I will try and find and post some more photos for you on this subject.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Miss Amy,
I stumbled upon your blog and liked your posts about New Zealand.
Would you like to write a post or two about New Zealand related subjects for my blog ?
You can look at my blog at http://www.nztramping.com
And you can also find my contact information there.

Thank you!
Greg Brave.

即是Miss Au said...

I have watched the movie. Very interesting!